In 2010, Remington won the contract to upgrade 3,600 M24 sniper rifles for the Army. Since 1988 Remington produced about 15,000 of the M24 sniper rifles. As part of the upgrade of the M24 sniper rifle chassis to the XM2010, the parts which are replaced are usually destroyed. Remington was able to work out a deal with the Army that would allow Remington to use these parts to make and sell 2,000 of the M24 SWS (Sniper Weapon System) for sale in return for reducing the costs of the XM2010 upgrades.
Those lucky enough to not only have the money to afford the M24, but also to be successful in the purchase of the M24 SWS from Remington will receive the full SWS to include:
- 1x M24 with a new M24 receiver, barrel and fire control
- Used optics and mounts (Leupold-Stevens M3 Ultra fixed scope at 10X with a range-finding mil-dot reticle and bullet drop compensator)
- Used stock and accompanying components
- Used cases
- New or used accessories (tools, iron sights, etc)
The cost of the M24 SWS through the M24 Rebuild Program is $3,500 plus any applicable state tax and a shipping and handling charge of $85 per rifle. The M24 SWS offered is built from a combination of new and used parts, however each weapon is 100% tested and functional. Some accessories MAY NOT be present due to unavailability from the US Government. Changes occurred during the life of the M24; therefore the weapon you receive may have newer or older components depending on what is available. The US Army also developed several accessories for the M24 which are not available (such as the flash hider), thus these items will not be included with the weapon you receive.
There is a strict limit of one M24 SWS per person and dealers and distributers are not eligible to purchase for resale. The weapon must be retained for 1 year from the date of purchase and they Remington cannot provide specific seriel numbered weapons such as for those that carried an M24 overseas and want to try to buy their previously assigned M24.
Remington started offering the M24 to specific groups of people with an originally proposed timeline for the sales of the M24s extending from January 2012 to May 2013 until the rifle is available for purchase by the general public. The timeline listed on the Remington site is listed below, but as of today the sales are still limited to category 1-3 buyers.
Category 1 (Open for Purchase)
- active duty sniper qualified personnel are eligible to purchase a rifle.
- Accepted sniper school certificates are;
- Special Operations Target Interdiction Course (SOTIC) Level I
- Special Operations Target Interdiction Course (SOTIC) Level II
- US Army Sniper school –B4 ASI
- USMC Scout Sniper school
- USMC Scout Sniper Instructor Course
- USANG Sniper school – B4 ASI
- USN SEAL sniper course
- No other school or course diploma will be accepted
Category 2 (Open for Purchase)
- Only those individuals who can prove they are on active duty or in the National Guard or Reserve currently will be eligible
- Eligibility is not restricted to sniper qualified personnel, any member of the US Military (active), National Guard or Reserve is eligible
- Personnel not meeting the requirements for category 1 or 2 are not eligible
- Will need to provide a copy of your ID card
Category 3 (Open for Purchase)
- Personnel who have retired after 20+ years of honorable service will be eligible.
- Personnel who have been medically discharged for wounds suffered in combat are eligible
- Discharge from the military prior to retirement does NOT qualify
- USDoD civilians or contractors who have retired (20+ years) from US Government service will be eligible
- Personnel not meeting the requirements for category 1, 2 or 3 are not eligible
- Will need to provide proof of retirement
- Personnel currently assigned/employed by a Federal law enforcement agency will be eligible (must have arrest powers)
- Personnel currently assigned/employed by a Federal intelligence agency will be eligible
- Personnel who have retired from a Federal law enforcement or intelligence agency will be eligible
- Personnel who have served but did not retire from a Federal law enforcement agency will NOT be eligible
- Personnel not meeting the requirements for category 1, 2, 3 or 4 are not eligible
- Will have to provide proof of current employ or retirement
- Officers currently assigned/employed by a state or local law enforcement agency will be eligible
- Officers who have retired from a state or local law enforcement agency will be eligible
- Officers who have served but did not retire from a state or local law enforcement agency will NOT be eligible
- Reservists and/or honorary members of a state or local law enforcement agency will NOT be eligible
- Personnel not meeting the requirements for category 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 are not eligible
- Will have to provide proof of current employ or retirement
Remington has not yet opened purchasing to Categories 4 and 5, so they seem to have been delayed in filling the orders. When the M24 SWS was first being purchased by Category 1 and 2 personnnel, the average wait time from sending in the paperwork and cracking open the rifle case in their home was about 9 months. Buyer who submitted paperwork right before the program was opened to Category 3 waited approximately 18 months to receive their M24 SWS.
Remington has shared the following information on their website reference the delays in filling orders:
TO ALL M24R CUSTOMERS AND POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS
We deeply apologize for the length of time this effort has taken and understand that many of you have submitted questions and orders, yet have not received a response. We are diligently working through the mass of emails we have received and will address them. We seek your patience and understanding in this situation as we have received over 3000 responses since this program was announced. We admit that we severely underestimated the response and were not in a position to adequately handle this volume. Additionally, we would like everyone to know that as a company we are exceptionally busy as this has been a banner year, subsequently our production capacity is constrained by the large volume of business we are currently experiencing domestically and internationally.
We remain committed to this program and our customers and will make every effort possible to ensure that those qualifying individuals orders are processed in a timely manner. We are pleased to say that we have recently completely the first build phase and will be shipping the weapons shortly.
We thank you for your support and patience.
Remington Defense Sales Team
You can view the M24 Rebuild Program on the RemingtonMilitary.com website for more information and to download the information required to be completed to purchase an M24 SWs.